Tuesday, January 13, 2009

NOTORIOUS and All That Hype

Thanks to the great people at Warner Music for the invite for what apparently was the only Toronto pre-screening for the much anticipated movie of the year "NOTORIOUS".



So with out further adieu, I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but after the movie was over I still felt like there was a lot missing from this depiction of what may have possibly been the most publicized hip-hop icon in my life history.

The young Christopher Wallace was graciously played by his very own son Christopher Jordan, which I thought was a great choice. He played out his dad at age 8 to 13 convincingly and made for a great beginning. Into the later years when BIG's highschool hustle transformed into the big-time drug dealer personna, Jamal Woolard carried his weight and I am not just talking literally. As an MC himself who grew up in Brooklyn just doors away from Chris, he knew how to rock the party just like Biggie Smalls had been known to do. His love for the rap game was apparent but more importantly he subdued himself to portray the genuine love he had for his mother played by Angela Bassett. Who wouldn't have been my first choice, but as a seasoned actress it goes without saying, she did her job as expected.

Lil' Kim was played by Naturi Naughton, who once was a part of disbanded 3LW. With not much success then, has come back to the scene making her feature film acting debut. She looks like Kim when she was a brown-skinned chick wayyy back in the day. Her rhyming skills were tolerable and her body did her justice. What did your mom have to say about all that up on the big screen? Anyway, once Faith popped on to the scene that's when the drama began. Played by Antonique Smith, former New York Broadway cast member of "Rent" her musical background played into her benefit when she belted out Faith's Billboard Hit "I Remember".

Anthony Mackie was Tu Pac Shakur and this is where I get angry. Not sure if this was an inside job but seriously... I know about 5 regular-looking dudes on the block that look exactly like Tu Pac and with a little coaching could have done a better portrayal of the late great. Lastly Derek Luke as Puffy Combs. I wish I had something nice to say and really being hand-picked by Diddy himself, I am sure must have been the most flattering endorsement ever. However...., I can't agree with Diddy. His tendencies and charisma did not translate at all of what I've come to know Diddy as and made it extra hard to believe the hype.

Without putting it all on blast, I would have loved to see more of the background headlines surrounding the life and times of Mr. Wallace and about the brewing beef that had the East and the West coasts at each other’s throats which inevitably lead to his murder in Cali. An interesting bio-pic that I am sure will have you thinking about what you were doing when all of this was on every North American music channel, radio station and magazine cover.

NOTORIOUS out in theatres this Friday January 16, 2009.

Want more?

Visit the official NOTORIOUS website
Read bios of the cast at imdb.com
Get tickets, showtimes and theatre listings at cineplex.com

No comments: