Monday, June 15, 2009

EVENT RUN-DOWN: Santigold Live in Toronto @ PHOENIX

Gotta apologize for the delayed reviewed, but Santigold's performance a couple weeks back is definitely worth noting.

I was first introduced to Ms. Santi by way of a purchased CD via a good friend of mine and fellow TOFLO blog contributor @RoShine. I was a bit skeptical at first because I am not a big rock/alternative concept type gal. I played it a few times on a long drive to the NYC, which happens to be Santigold's home town (Brooklyn to be exact). And well what can I say, after that it was love at a couple plays :-)

When her Toronto date was announced, it was definitely a show that sparked the team's interest. Funny enough though, not a lot of people knew about it. Come the night of I wasn't sure what to expect. Aside from, really enjoying her album from front to back, I couldn't understand one lyric in any of her songs LOL. Nonetheless, she made it a point to ensure her performance was interactive, energetic and more importantly entertaining.



Her opening act was Philly native Amanda Blank. Who quasi rapped/sang her ass off. She was cool and I thought made a great compliment to Santi. She started with Hold the Line, which is a feature she did with Major Lazer & Mr. Lexx, and continued through her entire catalog on her first self-titled studio release LP. For The Creator, she had members of the audience jump up on stage to dance with her and her 2 very talented dancers to whom she referred to as SG1's. I swear after seeing them dance I was almost inspired to get my MC Hammer pants on and start rocking out like I was on America's Best Dance Crew. Action word there was ALMOST. Thanks to the sturdy arm of @RoShine we managed to get most of the concert on video. Even though we were told to shut it down by the security. A lil' too late if you ask me but I am grateful nonetheless to be able to share it with you all that weren't able to get tickets.

While leaving completely satisfied with that evening's event, the team decided that we would try and see if we could get our TOFLO drops (as per the usual). We managed to talk with Trouble Andrew (Santigold's fiance BTW), Amanda Blank (who talked to loving the city), and of course Santigold herself. We weren't able to get much out of her, because she was understandably very tired and was being corralled into her awaiting SUV to make her way to her next tour stop (MTL).

Bottom line, her live band performance was well worth the $25. Honestly, I think it was worth a hell of a lot more (but I am not complaining). A big SHOUT OUT to the promoter who realized that YES we are in a damn recession and for that our wallets thank you!

To see our coverage, check out our ON Demand folder on www.toflo.com/tv.

1 comment:

Ro'Shine said...

I love you Santigold!
Let me know if Andrew fucks up...I will be glad to step in!